Sunday, May 30, 2010

Photography…made simple??? Part 1

One of my friends asked the following question on facebook: Aperture and Shutter Speed! When to use fast/slow shutter and small/large aperture... when should I use flash - lol I love to use it all the time!! I know it's prolly not the best idea though...

Lately, I have had several friends ask me similar questions about their cameras or photography concepts. They are interested in taking better pictures of their families, friends and documenting their daily lives. They aren’t necessarily interested in being pros they just want to capture their memories. I love this!

I definitely want to state up front that I still have so much to learn about photography and I have no illusions of being an expert but I am going to try to explain and attempt to simplify some of the fundamentals of photography as I understand them.

There are quite a few photographers that I admire very much. One of which is Matt Radlinski of Verve Studios (www. vervestudioblog.com) who stated so beautifully that photography is the art of “Painting with Light.” What an awesome way to explain it. Understanding that is probably the number one concept that most people miss. (Including me) Light is everything. It is the beginning and the end. It evokes the mood of a photograph, the way light bends and moves around subjects, the temperature of light, even the abundance or lack of light. Learn to look at light. Pay attention to what direction the light is coming from, how does it fall on your subject, what is the temperature (is the light yellow/orangey like most home lamps or the color at sunset, or is bluer like natural daylight, or even greenish like the light from a fluorescent light bulb), how does light look when it’s behind your subject, straight over head, to the side or in front? How does the changing light throughout the day affect how your subject is perceived in a photograph? Play with light…find what moves you…what looks appealing to you. That’s the beauty of any type of art…there is no right or wrong with the art you are creating for yourself…it’s up to you what you think is beautiful.

In my next segment I will try to tackle the technical aspects of photography and attempt to answer my friend Lexi’s question; I am going to try and take a somewhat complicated subject and try to make it simple for a beginner. There are three main elements to photography... Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO. Stay tuned for my next post to get the 411 on each of these elements. In the mean time take a look at the lighting in some photographs from a few of my favorite artists.



Look at the amazing rim lighting (rim lighting is the light you see outlining the couple) in this photograph by Susan Stripling (www.susanstriplingblog.com). Doesn’t it add to the romanticism? Isn’t it sexy and ethereal? It’s almost like god has shown a spot light on a secret magical moment.



This photograph was taken by Denise Andrew. Look at the way the light leads your eye from the top of stairs to the bride and then lights her path. You almost feel like you are taking the walk with her.



This photograph is of yours truly. (That’s right…it’s me!Holla) It was taken by the fabulous Krystal Radlinski of Verve Studios (www.vervestudiosblog.com). Look at how they produced this amazing light…it definitely gives it its edgy sexy factor and falls beautifully across my face and body.

Again… Light is everything.

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment