Monday, May 31, 2010

Photography…made simple??? Part Du

Are you ready for my next post on Photography made simple? Now you know I have to add my disclaimer that I am by no means an expert on photography, not by a long shot. So, what I am going to try and do is simplify what I do know to help others who are interested in learning more about their cameras.

I left my last post promising to shed a little light on the main aspects of photography….Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO.

First, I want to address an important concept I believe some people may not be aware of….Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO do not work independently of one another. They are connected. Change one and you (or the auto features in your camera) must adjust one of the others to achieve “proper exposure.”

I know…I know you are asking yourself, “Great, what the heck does that mean?” Don’t worry I am going to try and break it down for you. Geeeezzzzz! Calm down grasshopper! LOL!

So now we need to figure out exactly what is “proper exposure.” Since I am going to reference it over and over we need to clarify that term. Proper Exposure, in it's most simple meaning, refers to capturing the right amount of light for a particular image. Let’s say for this discussion that proper exposure is whatever aesthetic (look) appeals to you. Yes, if you are a professional, or if you submit prints for judging, or even for sale there are guidelines for proper exposure. I believe that trying to explain all of the aspects of “proper exposure” would just be overwhelming at this point; and at the end of the day, it’s just one more thing that can vary mildly depending on which pro you ask. So for this article when I reference “proper exposure”, I am referring to what looks good to you. For example, you may like a darker image (slightly underexposed) or a lighter/brighter image (slightly overexposed); but if you love the image, then who’s to say it’s wrong. Art is subjective! Play and discover what speaks to you.

Now, what do I mean when I say that Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO are all connected? Imagine if you will a triangle with each of the three points being one of elements of photography. As shown below:



Now imagine that there is a ball in the center of the triangle and you must try and keep it there in order to achieve proper exposure. If you tip the triangle in any direction, the ball will roll off and you could end up with a darker or lighter photograph. Still not clear? Well, I know this seems a little redundant but try to imagine holding that triangle in your hand with the steel ball rolling free in the center. If you adjust aperture up or down (move the tip of the triangle up or down), the ball will roll off in one direction or the other taking what you have determined as the proper exposure and making it darker or lighter. One or both of the other elements must be adjusted by you or your camera (raise/lower the Shutter Speed or ISO or bottom two tips) in order to level it out and bring the ball back to the center for proper exposure. Does that make any sense? Does that help you see the connection between all three elements?

At this point you may be asking yourself, “how is this possible?” I don’t adjust anything on my camera. I just pick it up, point it, and click the button. Well, that’s because more than likely you have your camera in “Auto” mode and it is automatically adjusting all three elements for you. If you own a camera, no matter how basic, film or digital, these three elements are always present. Your camera (set on Auto) is programmed to survey a scene and it will try, to the best of its ability, to adjust these elements to capture what the scene actually looks like. Unfortunately, no matter how extravagant the camera is, it doesn’t always get it “right.” Plus, you don’t have any creative freedom over your images. That’s why it’s so great to understand the different modes, functions, and aspects of your camera. If you don’t like what you are seeing in the view finder, then you have opened up some options to change how your camera records a scene. Cool huh?

I think I will let this soak in before I go on to explain exactly what each element is and how it affects a photograph.

I promise Lexi…my very next post will start breaking down each one.

By the way, please feel free to send me any questions or comments that you might have about this post or any other for that matter.

Till next time…Happy shooting! The camera…not each other! 

Since posts are always better with pictures, take a gander at a few more of my favorites.



Look at the light in this photograph by Dina Douglas (http://andrenaphoto.com/blog/). Besides the fact the photo is just stunning, look at how the light right behind the girl looks slightly yellow/orangey because of the setting sun. Can you see how light has a temperature/color?




This photograph is by K-Gallery which is now Verve Studios (www.vervestudioblog.com). Isn’t it fun? Doesn’t it capture what being a kid is all about? Set up a photo shoot like this with your kids and see what happens!




I believe this photograph was also taken by Verve Studios (www.vervestudiosblog.com)…if that is not correct, please let me know. This photo cracks me up every time I see it. Oh for the love of sibling rivalry. Capture your friends and family being exactly who they are because that will help take a photograph from ordinary to extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment